- Fast conveyance of passengers either on the same or between different levels.
- Usually used in business areas.
Electric drive with non-friction driving elements between the operational brake and the step or pallet drive.
Direct drive located in the upper return station or at the passenger`s side of the step or pallet.
- High capacity of up to 13.500 persons/h
- Integrated in public traffic means (p.e. underground)
- Traffic control
comprising motor, gearbox, brake
mostly three-phase motors; at higher speeds direct-current motors
mostly spur or planetary gear, with/without additional gearing.
Dual-circuit brake system with/without auxiliary brake
Mostly microprocessor controls for
- continuous operation
- automatical operation, with/without reactivation for automatic re-start
- automatical start by user (alternating drive)
- speed control, depending on number of passengers
Mostly comprising truss supported on both landings
comprising steps, the step-chain and the tension frame in the lower landing
including handrails and skirting
Mechanical safety features, such as:
Electrical safety devices, such as:
- Selection of adequate material (suitable strength and surface texture)
- Compliance with safety distances
- Attaching deflectors
Organizational measures, such as:
- Emergency stop switch
- Handrail entry guard
- Comb supporting switch
- Step sagging switch
- Monitoring the tension of the step-chain
- Monitoring overspeed and unintentional reversal
- Compliance with a sufficient size of unrestricted area at the landings
- Compliance with the operational manual.
- Restricted to intended use only (conveyance of passengers)
- Regular maintenance by competent personnel
- Periodic inspections and tests by competent engineers
Standards and regulations
DIRECTIVE 2006/42/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast).
9th ordinance on the Product Safety Act (Machine Directive)
DIN EN 115:
Safety rules for the construction and installation of escalators and Passenger conveyors (harmonized European product standard)
Regulation on the construction and operation of tramways. Also applicable to subways.
Trade union guideline on escalators and moving walks
Service for Regulation
For further information you will send a
contact directly the experts of
TÜV SÜD, Department „Lifts and Escalators, Hoists and Cranes”