Worldwide Regulation for boiler and pressure vessel approval
Scope of application
The scopes are defined in the respective sections of the ASME Code. For common non-nuclear applications the general scopes are as follows:
- Power boilers operating at a pressure of >15 psig (>100 kPa / 1,03 bar)
- High-temperature water boilers operating at a pressure of >160 psig (>1,1 MPa / 11,03 bar) and/or temperature of >250°F (>120 °C)
- Steam boilers operating at a pressure of ≤15 psi (≤100 kPa / 1.03 bar)
- Hot-water heating boilers and hot-water supply boilers operating at a pressure of ≤160 psi (≤1.1 MPa / 11.03 bar)
- Hot-water heating boilers and hot-water supply boilers operating at a temperature of ≤250 °F (≤120 °C)
Section VIII, Div. 1
As a rough guide Section VIII, Div. 1 may be used, which applies to pressure vessels
- Operating at internal/external pressure >15 psi (>100 kPA / 1.03 bar) and ≤3000 psi (≤20 MPa / 206.85 bar)
- With internal diameter or diagonal cross-section >6 in (>152 mm)
Excluded from the scope are vessels such as:
- Vessels for containing water under pressure [pressure ≤300 psi (≤2 MPa / 20.7 bar) and a design temperature of ≤210 °F (≤99 °C)]
Pressure vessels heated by indirect means [heat input ≤200.000 Btu/hr (≤58.6 kW) and water temperature ≤210 °F (≤99 °C) and water capacity ≤120 gal (450 l)]
- Vessels with an internal diameter or diagonal cross-section of ≤6 in (≤152 mm) irrespective of the length of vessel or the pressure
- Vessels falling under the scope of other sections.
The vessels are categorised in three classes. Depending on the inspection and fabrication methods, these vessels can be operated at various maximum pressures and temperatures.
Irrespective of the above information, the respective sections can also be applied to components, vessels etc. outside the defined scope. The ASME stamp can be applied if all requirements set forth in the section are complied with.
One possible example would be a client requesting approval according to ASME Code Section VIII Div. 1 although the vessel is not included in the scope of this section (e.g. internal diameter 100 mm, pressure 200 bar).
For further information please contact
Phone: +49 (0)89 5791-1183
TÜV SÜD Industrie Service GmbH