Everything you need to know about compressed air:
summarized by netinform and our partner BAUER KOMPRESSOREN GmbH München
Indoor installation of air-cooled compressors Indoor installation of air-cooled compressors
To ensure smooth operation of air-cooled compressors, the following points must be observed when compressors are installed indoors:
- the room must be clean, free of dust, dry and as cool as possible;
- direct sunlight should be avoided. If possible, the compressor should be installed on the northern side of the building;
- sufficient ventilation must be ensured. Room temperature = cooling temperature! Min. +5°C, max.+45°C. At temperatures < 5°C, the room must be heated.
One differentiates between two types of ventilation:
Natural ventilation is the simplest form of ventilation and results automatically from heating and cooling. Unless thermal overloads are to be expected, natural ventilation is sufficient. It is suitable for light-duty compressors, intermittent operation and areas with moderate climate. The intake and discharge openings depend on
- the power of the electric motor
- the difference in height between the intake and discharge opening
- the air volume in the compressor room
The dimensions of the respective openings are included in special tables and installation manuals together with alternative forms of compressor installations.
Installation with natural ventilation
Normally, artificial ventilation is only required, if the motor output exceeds 15 kW, if the compressor is to be installed in a small room, if the cooling air openings cannot be adequately dimensioned or if several compressors are accommodated in one and the same room.
For further information please refer to the specific manuals.
Installation with artificial ventilation
It must be especially emphasized that in cases involving cold intake air (winter operation), this air must always be pre-warmed to avoid deficient drive lubrication because the oil is too cold. The intake air can be pre-warmed via a suitable forced-air system that can easily be mounted on the compressor. Large compressor systems require an appropriate intake and discharge air duct and a forced-air system that is adjusted to the compressor type.
BAUER KOMPRESSOREN GmbH München